Saturday, July 4, 2015

After Storm in the Prairie


Oil on linen on panel, 6 x 6 inches -- Click to Bid

This is the second painting I did on the same day when I painting the sheep farm in Prairie City, OR. It got stormy in the afternoon while three of us, the artists, kept driving around the valley for "site seeing" of plein air possibilities. We pulled over in a wide parking spot by the high way, set up our easels. It got fairy windy with the gust front from the big dark cloud over the Strawberry Mountains, which I was originally going to paint. But the rain shaft and dark cloud made the mountains look too dark and obscured for me to paint. So I turned my easel about 60 degrees to the left, and painting this blue sky hole over the hills. The scene kept changing radically, so I could spend very short time to paint this on site. After I came home, I changed the windy road in the left foreground into a river to reflect the sky on the water surface. I also lightened the hills in the background. I like how this turned out.

No comments: