Monday, May 11, 2015

Springtime Sunset at Crater Lake


Oil on linen, 8 x 8 in.

This is a plein air painting I did at Crater Lake National Park two weeks ago. After taking Kathleen Dunphy's plein air workshop in Murphys, CA, I was driving through Oregon toward my home in the central WA by myself. I was originally planing to spend a night in Bend, but I decided to swing by Crater Lake for the heck of it. I figured, if nothing else, I might get some good photos along the way.

I ended up painting by the Rim Village almost till sunset. I couldn't resist the breathtaking scenery. I did get a possible camping spot outside the park from the visitor center first. There were no accommodations open within the park until the Memorial weekend. Anyway, I thought about the possible morning painting opportunity as well, and figured it would fun to try it. There was a lot of snow on the ground except the pavement. I put my good hiking boots and jacket. It was actually my first time to paint on the real snow.

By the time I left the park, it was already dark. I arrived at the nearby sno-park which the park ranger suggested, and slept in the back of my car. I knew it's always a good idea to drive with a decent sleeping bag and big ice chest with plenty of food and drink for a cross-country drive like this, just in case. I tried calling my husband from the parking lot, but there was no cell service there. It was a cold full-moon night, and it was so quiet. All by myself. To be continued...

No comments: