Monday, April 21, 2014

Sketch from the College Hill


Pen on paper, 6 x 8 inches --

This is one of the sketches I did during my last visit in Pullman. It was so overcast in the mid-afternoon that landscape looked less exciting for plein air painting without strong contrast of lights and shadows. I drove up the College Hill near WSU, and walked down a trail toward the bike pass along the rail road with a camera and sketchbook. This old building and grain tower was sandwiched between a highway and railroad with busy traffic and so on. But I drew only what I wanted to show. Plus I didn't want to spend a lot of time to include all other stuff around my main subject. I really liked the result. Nice and simple with enough information of tonal values. It could almost be anywhere. Now I feel like I could create a painting out of this. I think I'll do sketch like this more often and post it on this blog.

No comments: