Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Sitting on the Stone


Oil on panel, 24 x 24 inches

This is a painting I did for an upcoming group show, with the theme "Stone." I got an inspiration from a Japanese proverb, "Sitting on the stone for three years." (石の上にも三年 - Ishi no uenimo sannen) It means that if you persevere by sitting on a stone for three years, you would be in a better place, and achieve something higher ("sitting on the stone" is a figure of speech). It's a well known Japanese proverb (kotowaza) to promote a virtue of perseverance. 

I was drawn to this saying, because I personally want to believe that if I stick with my career, and keep working hard, I might become successful in the long run, even though it often seems that I'm just struggling.
 

This will be on display at The 4th Street Theatre (Yakima, WA) for one year starting from September.

No comments: