Monday, January 14, 2013

Sketch of the Old Shed


Pen on paper, 5 x 7 in 

This is a preliminary sketch for a commissioned painting. The lines inside the page represent the cropping area for the final composition. I combined various elements from the photos I shot at the scene to create a narrative using Photoshop, and drew this from the edited image. The biggest challenge was to determine the true horizon of the landscape, as the shape of the shed is so distorted, and the it's on the slope. Fortunately I had another photo of the  zoomed out scene that shows a new garage with reliable vertical lines. I used that reference to transfer the actual orientation to a telephone pole in the distance in the close-up photo. Then I corrected the orientation of the landscape. When I paint on the site,

No comments: