Thursday, August 16, 2012

Pink Rose from the Garden


Oil on canvas on panel, 6 x 6 in. --

We have several kinds of roses in our backyard that keeps growing back every year. I'm not really a flower painter, and didn't think of roses as my subject before I saw the DPW Painting Challenge hosted by Carol Marine. For this painting, I cut this rose from the garden and put it in a small bottle with water. I put it on a picnic table in the shady part of the backyard, and painted from life in the defused natural light. One thing I would do in the future is to start early in the morning. It got so hot by the time I was finishing it up. The rose kept lowering its head down over time, and I had to readjust the stem. That took me extra time. I might also cut the stem shorter next time.

No comments: