Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Orchard Series - Red Apples

SOLD
This is another plein air series from the WSU Orchard in Pullman. I didn't bring my plein air umbrella with me, and it is not very easy to find a painting spot with consistent and solid shade for my canvas and palette, even though I was in the middle of the orchard with a bunch of trees for shading. It might help to start painting earlier when the sun is lower and the shadows are bigger. The biggest problem was that there were too many different apples and compositions out there to choose from for a painting, and I wasted so much time looking for a spot. Then, I lost track of where it was. Off course, by the time I finally returned to the spot, the details such as the sun light and shades were not there anymore. It's not so easy to paint still life en plein aire.

No comments: